Charging and Remissions Policy

Appendix D

Charging Policy: January 2021

Charges for School Activities

Legislation allows schools to charge for certain activities which take place
both inside and outside school hours. Norfolk County Council has adopted a
policy, which it recommends to governors, but it is for governors of schools to
decide whether or not to follow the policy. The School’s charging policy must
be described in its prospectus, which can be obtained from the school. It is
also a requirement that the School’s charging policy is provided on its’
website. If your son or daughter’s school governors follow the County
Council’s charging policy, these are the activities and materials for which you
will be charged:

Music tuition
Vocal or Instrumental tuition, which is not part of the syllabus for an approved
public examination, part of the National Curriculum or provided under the first
access to the key stage 2 Instrumental and Vocal Tuition Programme.
Charges may be made for tuition provided individually or to groups of any
size, provided the tuition is provided at the request of the pupil’s parent.
No charge may be made in respect of a pupil who is looked after by the local

Ingredients and materials
Ingredients and materials for practical subjects where parents have indicated
in advance that they wish to receive the finished articles.
Travel: Schools cannot charge for:
• Transporting registered pupils to or from school premises, where the
local education authority has a statutory obligation to provide transport.
• Transporting registered pupils to other premises where arrangements
have been made for pupils to be educated.
• Transport enabling a pupil to meet an examination requirement where
prepared for that examination at the school.

Board and lodging
Board and lodging will be charged in all cases where a school activity involves
pupils in nights away from home. The charge must not exceed the actual cost.
Activities outside school hours
A charge can be made for all non-residential activities, which take place
wholly, or more than 50% outside school hours, where the child’s participation
has been agreed in advance by the parents. The charge can include the cost
of travel, entrance fees, insurance, books, equipment and any staff (teaching
or non-teaching) engaged specifically for the activity.

Updated May 2018

Residential trips

A residential trip is deemed to take place outside school
hours if the number of ‘missed’ school sessions is less than 50% of the
number of half days taken up by the trip.

For example:
Pupils are away from noon on Wednesday to 9pm on Sunday. This counts as
9 half days including 5 school sessions, so the visit is deemed to have taken
place during school hours.

Schools cannot charge for:
• Education provided on any visit that takes place during school hours.
• Education provided on any visit that takes place outside school hours if
it is part of the national curriculum, part of a syllabus for a public
examination the pupil is being prepared for at the school or part of
religious education.
• Supply teachers to cover for those teachers who are absent from
school accompanying pupils on a residential visit.
Schools can ask parents for voluntary contributions towards the cost of:
• Any activity taking place during school hours
• School Equipment
• General School Funds

Children of parents unwilling or unable to contribute may not be discriminated
against. If insufficient voluntary contributions are received, with no alternative
method to make up the shortfall, the activity should be cancelled. It is
advisable to make parents aware from the outset of the possible cancellation
of an activity if insufficient voluntary contributions are received.
Public Examinations – charges are made for the entry of a pupil for a
prescribed examination for which he/she has not been prepared by the school, or where the pupil entered for examinations in the same subject with
two examination boards.

Remission of charges

Only parents who are in receipt of Universal Credit
(when fully rolled out), Income Support, Working Families’ Credit, Disabled
Person’s Tax Credit or Income Based Job Seekers Allowance are eligible for
remission of charges. Remission of charges only applies to board and
lodgings charges, which are levied directly by the LA or the school and where
they relate to activities, deemed to take place wholly or partly in school hours.
Remission will not apply to such charges when they relate to activities wholly
outside school hours, except if the activity is prescribed in a syllabus for a
public examination, if it is prescribed by the National Curriculum or fulfils
duties relating to Religious Education.
Parents who have difficulty meeting any charges should discuss the matter in
confidence with the Headteacher.

Updated May 2019

Useful Links:

Learning Outside the Classroom guidance:

Latest DfE guidelines:

Outdoor Education Advisors Panel guidance: